A Day In The Life

6:30 a.m.– Wake up, get dressed and ready for school.

7:40 a.m.– Leave for school. I socialize a bit with my friends in the band hall after I drop my stuff off in the colorguard room. Sometimes there are before-school clubs I attend. Usually there’s not.

8:15 a.m.– First period starts. I sit in the back of my German 1 class. I’ve become friends with a couple people who sit around me. There’s a few sophomore boys that like to argue which is better, a turtle or a fish. It’s silly, but entertaining. Me and the girl who sits behind me, Brynna, laugh at them and talk about our teacher, who isn’t very good at teaching German. We work together on all the partner stuff. On Friday mornings, when I have marching band practice before school, ich schlafe im Deutsch Klasse.

9:53 a.m.– Second period starts. I am in colorguard class. We work on parts of the marching show or learn new flag work. Sometimes, since I’m an officer, I lead some of the flag line in warm-up excercises while our instructor works with other sections of the guard, like the sabres or the rifles. Out of the seven of the officers, only three of us aren’t on weapon line, and the other two have been getting upset that I’m the one that’s always leading. They annoy me, though, so I don’t plan to let them lead any time soon. From competitions to long after school practices, I spend most of my free time with these people. The colorguard is like a sisterhood (now with one boy as well) and even though it’s really easy for us to get on one another’s nerves, at the end of the day we all love each other.

11:30 a.m.– Lunch. At my school lunch is split into four different times during third period. I have ‘A’ lunch, which is the first one. So I go to lunch first and then class. I stay in the guard room and eat my lunch (even though technically we are not supposed to eat in the guard room) with one of the other junior officers, Taylor, (who I love to death) and a couple other juniors. We talk about the two annoying officers, tape on flags, or joke around with the guard director when he walks in to find something out of the guard room. It’s pretty fun.

12:15 p.m.– Third period starts. I have Physics. It’s terrible. I’m bad at math, and the subject of Physics doesn’t intrigue me. At least I have it with Taylor. That makes it a little better. Since it’s right after lunch, during third period I always feel kinda sleepy and tired, which does not help me get through Physics class. I keep failing all the quizzes, but somehow I’ve been getting high A’s on the tests. I guess I’m good at tests.

2:00 p.m.– Fourth period starts. My fourth period class is called Humanities, which is both English and American History. Depending on the day, I’ll either go to my English class or my History class. Unlike my other classes, I have Humanities all year. Both are AP classes. Both are a lot of work. I’m always a little frustrated with my fourth period teachers because I want to learn more about English and US History, but they are aren’t very good at teaching it. My English teacher is very unarticulate. She says “um” every other second and interrupts herself, cutting out the ends of her sentences. She also uses the phrase “you know,” which bothers me because as a teacher you should never assume that your students know something. Often times, I didn’t know anything about the subject she was discussing before she cut herself off with a “well, you know.” My History teacher lectures too fast and not often enough for us to get the information we need. She also talks about at least two historically accurate books or movies or tv shows every class. We are AP students. We don’t have time for tv. (And we don’t care that much about history, we just want the college credit)

3:30 p.m.– School ends. I rush over to the locker room to get changed before marching band rehearsal starts.

4:00 p.m.– Rehearsal begins. The drill is the same as its been since the first day of school back in August. We start outside on the parking lot painted with yard lines with all of our equipment. For the band kids, that’s just their instrument, water jug, and maybe some of the props for the show. I have to carry four six-foot flags, one for each part of the show, and some of the colorguard girls have more than that. We practice for two to three hours, depending on the schedule. Any way you slice it, at the end of the week we are only allowed to have practiced for eight hours after school, which is a UIL state rule for marching bands. Sometimes, when it’s hot, rehearsal can be pretty brutal. I got heat stroke the first day of school this year, as did a couple other people. It was 108 degrees outside. But now in October, with the weather all nice and cool and breezey at like 80 degrees, we all are fine.  We don’t sweat as much or have to push ourselves as hard at this point in the season. We are learning the last part of the show, and competitions have started up, so practicing is more rewarding than it was back in August.

7:00 p.m.– On a Monday or a Tuesday, this would be the end of rehearsal. We typically have two three-hour practices and one two-hour practice. 

7:30 p.m.– After socializing with my band friends for a little bit, I head home. Once I’m home I take a shower right away and then eat dinner.  I’m pretty hungry at this point in my day. My sisters are sometimes gone with my mom at dance class, but my brother and dad are usually home. I eat dinner and talk with them.

Around 8:00 p.m.– I start on my homework. I never have homework in German (our teacher treats us like elementary school kids) but I usually have homework in Physics that takes me a while. And then I have to take care of whatever my other teachers have assigned, like reading the Scarlet Letter or writing a “Historical Summation,” whatever the heck that is. I got a hundred on the last one, but I didn’t know what I was doing.

Around 10:00 p.m.– Homework is finished, sometimes involving tears because I don’t understand or I’m so tired. If I’m not too exhausted I stay up a little while longer and talk to my parents about their day or things that happened to me that day. Then I go to sleep, preparing myself to do it all over again tomorrow.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s